In a recent issue of Ride they talked about the Old School and New School riders. But there's another group that was around before there was an old school, these are the Pre-school riders...
How to tell if you're a pre-school rider
by The White Bear
- You've been in a room drunk with McGoo (OK, this applies to pre-school, old school, and new school)
- You once had a neon bike and a number plate with your name on it.
- There's still a pair of leathers in the back of your closet.
- Your wife/girlfriend/roommates tell you to shut up every time you say "I know Dennis McCoy" while watching ESPN.
- You go to the Van's Skatepark and can name the three guys riding that big pool in the back.
- You know the name of that big pool in the back.
- You know what a "steamer" is.
- The word "King" comes to mind when someone mentions Eddie Fiola.
- You know who Mad Dog is, and you've seen him naked.
- You still know every word from Beastie Boys' Licensed to Ill.
- You know what a Velodrome is.
- Mike Sarrail once taught you a trick.
- You were almost in a van accident while Ron Wilkerson was driving.
- You make fun of people who ride without brakes.
- You've been ht by Dennis McCoy skidding off the ramp landing a 540.
- You've bumped into John Ker on the deck of a vert ramp.
- You once wondered if you were dual and silk.
- You once had a seatpost with a handle on it.
- You remember when miniramps were vert ramps.
- You know at least three people who are now millionaires but claim not to be.
- You've wondered if Bob Haro is gay.
- You know the Land of Oz was really in Torrance.
- You once wished YOUR dad would start a magazine.
- You've helped Matt Hoffman straighten his bars during a contest run.
- You can still do a curb endo.
- You've fallen on your ass recently trying a trick you used to pull every time.
- You've had a drunk walk up to you while you were riding and say, "I used to ride for Redline."
- You've walked up drunk to some young riders and said, "I used to ride for Kuwahara."
- You've jerked off thinking about Windy.
- You can finish this sentence: Alley oops are hard, lookbacks are harder, but _________."
Uploaded August 1999